Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Round two completed

The logs for round two of the cabin are completed. This was a good chance to fine tune the process of calculating, scribing and cutting the saddle notches to the correct depth so the tops of the logs for even numbered rounds will be at the same height. Looks easy enough, right? But when you think about it the logs are tapered and different diameters on the ends, maybe not.


The tool that makes it possible is the Log Scribe. A dividers with a point on one leg and Ink pencil on the other.

What makes it work are the two levels that keep the dividers in the correct planes while you move it along marking the line for the saddle notch and groove cuts. You keep your eyes on the levels, not the pencil! This takes some practice to get the hang of.

With the lines marked I like to chisel the line for a positive reference so as not to over cut it when using the axe or saw.


And if all goes well this is what you get. All four corners at a height of between 21" and 22" with a minimum 3" wide groove making contact with the log below it. When the EM Seal expands in the groove the joint will be air tight.

With the new school year starting this brings to mind the old saying about learning and it applies here for sure. "I hear it I forget. I see it I remember. I do it, I understand!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment