Decided to go all in as they say and put electric floor heating in the cabin. As the cabin is built on a concrete slab this should make a big difference in the winter comfort level and enjoyment of the cabin.
Wednesday, June 30, 2021
Nice. Finished laying the heating wire. Now to place the two sensors and their wires. They send two sensors so there is a back up should one fail. For me it would be a big pain to pull up the finish floor. For a ceramic floor it would be impossible. So two is better than one. However the wiring for all this is another learning experience. A lot of online video to help and the second time will be easier.
Well I hope you have enjoyed the journey and process of designing and building my Hand Hewn Log Cabin #6 as much as I have over the past year or two.
Wednesday, June 23, 2021
With the roof membrane down and secured it was time to bring up the windows. The 60" x 60" sliders were a tight squeeze for me and the elevator opening. But it worked, "just as I planned it".
And there you have it from the back side looking East.
Tuesday, June 22, 2021
No doubt about it. With half of the roof covered progress continues and should be having a drink high above Cabin #6 in a week or so. You can see two of the windows for the treehouse leaning against the cabin.
Thursday, June 17, 2021
The cross section of the guide rails would be built up like this at the bottom for support strength and stability.
The rails were rotated 90 degrees so the garage door tracks faced each other. Then recycled 1x6 treated deck boards were attached every 24" to tie the two rails together and provide an escape "ladder" should there be a problem with the elevator or hoist. I also gave the wood a coat of finish while it was on the ground.
Monday, June 7, 2021
Or Rig C? If you said C then we could have used you when we did this.
After a few fits and starts the two halves where in place and screwed together. Although we had to resort to using a come-along to power the second half up and over the supports.
Friday, June 4, 2021
This unit, one of six was easy to remove. Reassembly would be just as easy by hanging the unit on the header between vertical posts and then rolling it in place.
Removing the headers and main posts was pretty straight forward.
Saturday, May 22, 2021
Some of the gaps between logs were pretty wide and required the placement of a strip of wire lath to be inserted to hold the first coarse of mortar as shown here.
So this is what it looks like after it is cleaned up with a scraper and wire brush to remove any excess mortar from the log surfaces. You can see the sloping detail of each joint at the edge of the window frame.
Almost done with 1/8 th of the cabin.
The final step for the outside is to give the logs and mortar one last coat of the Honey Gold finish.
Then, while the cabin is drying it will be time to get back to work on the Treehouse Project. Here is the electrical service that I ran out from the cabin to the tree.