Thursday, October 27, 2011

There that was easy ...

You betcha it was. But now with a little luck we can get the use of a Bobcat to load them on to a trailer and pile them up in the work yard to be "de-nailed"!
It takes a bit of imagination to see it but what we have here are the makin's for a nice 12' be 16' log cabin with half-mitered dovetail corner joints. See it? Well if not just keep checking in to follow the progress.

Oh did I mention the spiders we ran into while working on the old barn?

Trick or treat !

Sunday, October 23, 2011

A game of Pick-Up Sticks...

Well after levering off the floor boards and doing the same to the log floor joists we rowing them into the lower level. Then it was time to start piling them up outside.
Just like a giant game of Pick-Up sticks. Half done and half to go.

Sunday, October 16, 2011

With a little imagination...

We finished the roof of the 150 year old cabin and will be taking a break from this project.

Maybe relax, sit back and enjoy the fall colors? Ya right.
Or squeeze in another little project while waiting for the wood for Cabin Bridge #6. I'll go for the "little" project.                               
                                                          I ask you, "What do you see?"
If you answered a mess or fallen down barn you are right but that is what this " is ". If you use your imagination then you too will be able to see much more...
If your imagination is strong then you will see the treasure below the surface. Getting to it however will require a bit more than just imagination. However a good imagination will serve as the fuel to get the job done.

So I ask again, "What do you see..?" and will keep you posted on the progress of this filler project until the Cabin Bridge #6 wood arrives in Darlington. 

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Cabin progress continues

Weather has cooperated and the progress continues on the 1860's cabin rebuild. Roof going on one shingle at a time.
Preparation for and chinking will be as laborious as the roof for sure. First a groove is cut on the underside of each log. Then wire lathe is placed in the groove and cut to fit the opening.
Mortar is then troweled into the wire lathe to fill and seal the opening between the logs. This will provide a nice surface and shed the water.
The cabin even looks pretty nice from the inside and there seems to be quite a bit of room. I suppose that it was a bit more crowded with the pioneers eight children and then there would be all their "stuff" (washer, drier, dinning room table and chairs, big screen TV, sofa, coffee tables, oven, refrigerator, microwave, dishwasher, beds and dressers). for daily living. Lucky the bathroom was outside!

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Cabin re-construction progress

Things are going well on the cabin re-construction project. It was a good feeling to have the pins and holes in the top four logs mate locking together the walls.
From the four logs were replaced in the back wall shorter logs were cut to replace rotted logs by the doors and windows.
The history is that this 12' by 16' cabin was the 1860's home to a local family with 8 children!
Next up will be resizing the window openings and framing them to fit the new windows. Then it will be on to the roof rafters.