Sunday, January 15, 2012

It's not all work, but it's Tricky

This is what the cabin was meant for. Taking a break from log notching to cook a nice pot of stew on the wood stove for lunch.


Not that we have been slacking off or anything, but the recent snow has slowed things down a bit.


Now for the tricky part... rigging up a holder for the hamburger cooker that will keep it over the nice bed of coals in the stove.

Problem solved! The ol' Odyssey of the Mind team would be proud.

After we finish lunch and take a nap I'll get down to the real problem. That will be log spacing and keeping the height of all four corners the same with logs that taper. Most of the instructions seem to skip this part of the process. Then maybe I'm just over thinking it. Could be the teacher in me. That stuff is hard to kill after 39 years of it. Details to follow... lunch.

3 comments:

  1. Love the blog!
    What I've read of cabin building you stack the logs alternate ways round so it goes fat, thin fat, thin etc. but I'm sure its not that easy in practice.
    Looking forward to seeing it finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got that right, Alviti.
      For sure the three biggest lies in the world are: 1. The check is in the mail. 2. I'm from the government and I'm here to help you. 3. That's easy, it will only take a minute.

      I think you will find the up coming posts dealing with this and what I am learning about the process very interesting.

      Delete