Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A super size Puzzler ? ...

Well I have gone and done it now. After days of building up layer after layer and clamping them in place the deed is done. I have reduced what was recognizable as a lattice truss (see previous post) to six layers of boards!  This could be risky as I tend to avoid jigsaw puzzles made of over 100 pieces. I must be out of my mind.

But I will try my best. If you study the pictures you can see some of the techniques I used to identify the pieces to help insure proper re-assembly. Each truss has three simple main parts, Top Chord, Bottom Chord and a Web. The Chords are located on both sides of the Web and can be further identified as Inside or Outside. Keep in mind there are six layers of wood that make up each truss and the layers are put down one complete layer at a time. Did I mention that each CHORD is made up of two layer of wood and it takes 2 and 3 lengths to go the span distance for each layer.

Talk about confusing?

In an attempt to simplify things (if at all possible) I used a deck of cards (a little something I picked up when I built my log cabin in 2004). Red suit Bottom Chord joints. Black suit Top Chord joints. Then I used metal number stamps on all layers 1 through 6. Layer one pieces got a "1" stamped on each end and each outer edge. Layer two a "2" stamped and so on... For the Web lattice, each piece was numbered with a Sharpie and its location numbered likewise on the outside edge of the Chord where it is located. That was easy, right?

Looking ahead, one of the things to keep in mind will be "materials handling" and "stock rotation". With the 3/8 model this is child's play. However when it comes to a 20' long 2 x 12 moving these will require a good breakfast, if you know what I mean.  Build in Darlington, Transport to South Wayne, apply finish, Transport to Bridge Site and re-assemble?

Puzzler - Will it work? Remember the truss assembly must start with layer #1.

Tech Vocab - Parallel wood clamp - Drift Pin - Chamfer

No comments:

Post a Comment