Thursday, February 17, 2011

Things you should have learned in school...

One of the categories in Michael Feldman's, What-a-you know? public radio show quiz is, Things you should have learned in school. The question, What is the universal language that can be read and understood in all countries of the world? Answer,  Drafting. Show a set of plan drawings to any trades person in the world and they can get the message. Oh, there is a bit more to it but drafting skills and knowledge are key just like knowing the language of a specific country.

"Read" and study the isometric sketch and 3 view orthographic drawings pictured below. What do they tell you? What questions do you have? Make one.



I must admit to being a bit of a "dinosaur" when it comes to new technology. My drafting skills were gained using a T-square, Architects Scale, two Triangles and a mechanical pencil loaded with either 2-H or 4-H lead (really graphite). When the first Computer Aided Drafting (CAD) programs came out using a graphics tablet I found them more trouble that they were worth. Even when I started learning later generations of CAD I thought of them as not efficient. It took hours on the computer to do what I could do in ten minutes with my trusty T-square and triangles! I have since seen the light and error of my ways. There are 5 main steps in building any project: Idea - Sketch or Picture - Working Detailed Drawing - Bill of Materials - Plan of Procedure. Two of them require some degree of drawing or drafting skills and knowledge.  You don't have to be able to draw a "blue print" to be able to read one but I think it helps a lot. Imagine when filling out a college application and where it asks Foreign Language writing in yes, DRAFTING!

Puzzler - What are the Button Tie Downs for and how do they work in this bridge design?

Tech Vocab - Alphabet of lines

No comments:

Post a Comment