Thursday, July 25, 2024

The eyes have it

 

The shark is going to have red, pointed tail lights, that light up for eyes.  The tail lights and their holders are mounted into fiberglass forms that will be attached to the sharks head after the head is done.

Fiberglass cloth being attached to the frame.

I wanted to see just how the head would look with some teeth. The tricky part was going to be the teeth on the upper jaw. Anyone that has ever painted overhead knows the problem. It would be much worse with brushing on of a thick layer of fiberglass resin. This problem would have to be solved.

Turning the shark head over would be the solution. Putting a pipe through the sharks jaws would give me a pivot point if I could support and anchor it some how. I had two trees on the edge of the driveway that I could use. Hanging two come along hoists in the trees gave me the ability to raise the 300 pound shark head high enough so I could spin it over.

The process was slow but steady and would do the trick.

Now work could begin on the roof of the mouth and upper teeth placement.

Gravity would now be my friend.

The teeth were attached to the jaws by wrapping a strip of 4" wide fiberglass cloth around each tooth and then fixing it in place by coating it with the resin and hardener.

After a few hours of hot gluing and fiberglassing the teeth were all in place and the shark rotated back to normal.
 







No comments:

Post a Comment