Sunday, June 26, 2016

Wind generator repair

The crane is back. My grandson, Gus would love it! It has been 11 years since I put the Enertech 1800 up. Thanks Mick Sigrillo. Now because of a crack in the mounting plate I brought it down.

Working on the top of a 50 foot tower is... lets say exciting. When you have to let go and use both hands on something putting all your trust in a thin strap of nylon and a couple of clips!

The the wind was low (about 5 mph) and since there is no good way to lock the yaw of the head I was at the mercy of the wind to hook the crane to the generator lifting eye screw. Finally I made the hook and removed the nuts so the head could be lifted. Unfortunately as luck would have it the balance was off and the mounting plate jammed on the bolt threads. With nothing to lever with or against I decided to screw the nuts below the mounting plate up and raise the head to the top of the three bolts. Problem solved.


For years I have had a family of birds nesting in the nacel. Each year I would evict them and each year they would come back. Looks like this year they really did a number on some of the wiring. One of my repairs will be to bird proof the unit!

OK. Now now a new project. Let the learning begin.





No comments:

Post a Comment