Monday, August 18, 2014

Scribing and fitting the first logs

I almost forgot how much work was involved in the "process".  Chop the saddle, position log, calculate rough notch, chop rough notch, scribe finish notch, saw edges, chop, re-sawing and fitting logs to build the walls. But it would all came back to me during the next eight hours it took me to do it!

The bottom logs were whoppers! I needed to add a block and tackle to my parbuckle to get them up onto the cabin base logs.

The logs needed to be positioned on the walls and then I could determine the gap difference between each of the logs and its mate. A rough notch would be made on each end to set the tops of the logs level.

With the rough notches cut and the tops level the final scribed distance can be set. This distance can be adjusted for each side of the cabin to keep opposite walls at the same height. Tricky!

After the log groove and notch is scribed they are cut like this with the chainsaw.

The axe can be used to split off a large portion of the wood that needs to be removed and provide clearance for the next chainsaw cut to remove the center wood.

The "vee" shape of the cut will need to be rounded out to form the concave to match the log it will sit on. This could all be done with an axe but some how I don't think I need to have that much fun!

After a bit of work with the 4.5" right angle grinder with the chainsaw blade on it the groove looks pretty good. My wife said it looked like I was making a dugout canoe. That reminded me of an Indian reenactment demonstration I once saw where they used heated rocks to char burn a log to actually make a dugout canoe!

Wood ashes are sprinkled on the top surface of the bottom log. When the top log is rolled over on top they will mark any surfaces of the groove that need to be cut deeper so the log notches fits tight.

A couple of tries and the fit is tight and good.

Do this just 38 more times and the cabin walls will be done. Now I remember just how much fun/work this is going to be!







No comments:

Post a Comment